1996-01-28 - Re: Denning’s misleading statements

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
To: allyn@allyn.com (Mark Allyn)
Message Hash: 11bf050fd428182ad7e49c339ad980c50ef0ccf9c6e89fce45bfae5a91f62efa
Message ID: <199601280502.AAA15901@homeport.org>
Reply To: <199601280025.QAA24212@mark.allyn.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-28 05:24:59 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 13:24:59 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 13:24:59 +0800
To: allyn@allyn.com (Mark Allyn)
Subject: Re: Denning's misleading statements

Mark Allyn wrote:

| I would like to make a suggestion that D. Denning; others
| who are pro-escrow/clipper; and some of you folks here on
| this forum get together for a debate.

	Why bother?  Denning's position is that we'll go away.  By
deploying remailers, PGP, and other pro-privacy technologies, we
change the terms of the debate, and we change the facts that they must
deal with.

	Write code, not rants.  I wrote a mixmaster installer script
recently to make installing a Mixmaster easy.  (You can get it by
sending me a message with a "Subject: get mixmaster".)  I'm working on
code to allow a Mixmaster to only send to other mixmasters, and local
users.  This would allow people to covertly run a Mixmaster, avoiding
the headache of having anonymized messages come from your site.

	Now and then, debating with Denning and the like is fun.  But
she's a statist, and I'm not.  We aren't going to see eye to eye on
this stuff, so rather than responding, with detailed arguments,
respond with code that does new & nifty stuff. A GUI version of
premail would be cool, as would a key management utility for handing
PGP keyrings and webs of trust.

Adam

					               -Hume

Thread