1996-01-11 - Re: E-cash and Interest

Header Data

From: Ryan Lackey <ryan@netaxs.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 16ce6fa622f3f20e854c171201480059e241f700c5788e855d58c995864201e3
Message ID: <199601112252.RAA03445@unix5.netaxs.com>
Reply To: <199601111911.AA16628@mail.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-11 23:26:30 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 07:26:30 +0800

Raw message

From: Ryan Lackey <ryan@netaxs.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 07:26:30 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: E-cash and Interest

In one of many possible worlds, Frank O. Trotter, III did say:

> One note, under US banking regulation, "transaction accounts" fall
> under different rules than money market accounts, savings accounts,
> and NOW accounts.  Depending on the exact functionality desired,
> and future regulation changes, there will be more or less incentive
> and/or legal ability to pay interest.

Yet more incentive for starting a bank somewhere in the free world...

> Given the current functionality of Ecash there will be little
> incentive to hold balances on your hard drive once interest is
> available.  It is just too easy to move the money down when
> you need it.  Today there is no specific cost incentive between
> the Mint and your hard drive.

Ecash really would be a lot nicer if it were implemented in a
multi-issuer system with even more choices for storing your money, like
in an ecash money market account at a non-issuing institution.  I can wait.

I agree that there's little point in storing ecash on your hard drive
past a slush amount for purchases (hopefully the sw will be smart enough
to advise people as to how much to keep on hand)...ecash still requires a
check with the bank before spending any cash, correct?  Ecash on disk
doesn't protect against denial-of-service-through-networking attacks
then.  Keeping ecash at MTB, however, wouldn't be my reason for keeping
it at a remote location.  Probably.

> It does not take a long leap to see that when the account and the
> Mint are merged, that since the Mint _is_ the account, PC/Internet
> banking, debit and all other regular banking functionality can
> become immediately integrated!

If I had to conduct all of my banking in accordance with
Mark Twain's fee schedule and legal restrictions, I'd be buying another
mattress right now..well, maybe pillowcase.

By integrating all of these services under Mark Twain Bank Ecash Mint, I
would get all of the advantages of a rather pricey bank, 4-5% loss on all
my deposits, minimal privacy protection, no FDIC protection, $2500
initial deposit (not a problem for me, but it does keep many of the
people I'd like to send money to out of the system..always a feature),
and _tens_ of places to spend my ecash, only 4 or 5 of which that really
sell things.

--
Ryan Lackey -*- ryan@pobox.com -*- http://www.netaxs.com/people/ryan/
"Calmly and impersonally, she, who would have hesitated to fire at an

Thread