1996-01-17 - RE: Alta Vista, Great Stuff!

Header Data

From: Steve Gibbons <steve@aztech.net>
To: wlkngowl@unix.asb.com
Message Hash: 187393af6863295e237315efcb17119058171983fff14d7073584e9f1db01ccf
Message ID: <0099C7F3.921D3B60.3@aztech.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 06:59:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Gibbons <steve@aztech.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 06:59:06 +0800
To: wlkngowl@unix.asb.com
Subject: RE: Alta Vista, Great Stuff!

In Article: <199601170427.XAA27753@UNiX.asb.com>, Beethoven <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com> wrote:

# Hey, I saw a message on the list about personal mail
# showing up in an A.V. search, and figured why not try
# it out and see what comes up under one of my nyms...

# Lo and behold, my nym corresponds with the title of a
# popular comic strip and an episode in a bad TV show...

# Crypto related?

# Imagine your nym is related to something common-place at
# the time of posting.  Even though you may be well known
# under that nym, simple searches for that name will turn up
# loads of crapola, or at least some light entertainment
# for someone searching for oyur past posts.

# (It can also turn some unsuspecting people looking for the
# crapola onto your interests...)

# Yes, I know that sophisticated search engines and simple
# expressions can filter out most of the unwanted junk, but
# not all of it.  Likewise filtering will let some of your
# posts fall through the web-crawler-cracks.

I've ran into three similar situations lateley.
1) Quite a few people assume that aztech.com is Aztech Labs, the makers of
various sound cards, video cards, and CD-ROM drives.  (I _wish_ these fols
would use the various search engines to find who/what they're looking for.)

2) I'm hosting a web-page for a band called One Foot In The Grave.  There's a
(fairly popular, I guess) British sit-com by the same name, with quite a few
followers that have set up pages for the TV show.

3) There happens to be a steve@tezcat.com, and we occasionally receive email
from long-lost aquaintances that was intended for the other.  Generally this is

Crypto relevance?  Only on item 3, if PK encryption was in wide-spread use, and
easy to use, this wouldn't happen.  The MUA would realize that it didn't have a
local PK key for steve@tezcat.com, and inform the user (who could then perform
a soundex lookup on their existing keys, and realize that they meant to contact
steve@aztech.com.)

Soundex (or equivilant technology) search spiders are going to make the whole
mess even worse...

ObPunk: I decided that the easiest way to hide from item 1 was to change domain
names.  By chance, someone else was interested in aztech.com, so I even made a
profit.  :)

I keep meaning to write something up, and submit it to comp.risks, but who has
the time?...

--
Steve@AZTech.Net

Thread