1996-01-28 - Re: RANT: When hi-tech is a hinderance (freedom w/in limits)

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1a86445b5d9be7e4ec2c0f56f2c1825e1d4d06fcf576b442abeabf67b32ad5ce
Message ID: <ad301725050210043b32@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 10:30:38 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 10:30:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: RANT: When hi-tech is a hinderance (freedom w/in limits)

At 12:48 AM 1/28/96, Anonymous wrote:
>A short 'rant' on techno-dinosaurism...
>Cypherpunks or crypto relevance?  Sometimes high-tech can be
>a weakness.

The canonical story being Arthur C. Clarke's "Superiority," said at one
time to have been required reading at MIT.

>I've heard that the Soviets, not having the luxury of sexy
>Crays and whatnot, were adept and using hundreds of PCs to
>do their cryptanalysis... and so may have a lot of interesting
>parallel processing algorithms.

I'm skeptical. Sun Microsystems did indeed buy up a bunch of Russian
programmers, a couple of years ago. Haven't heard anything come out of
this.

And loosely-coupling PCs, for a task such as Anonymous describes, does not
sound like terribly good preparation for other tasks. No point in
speculating further, as the speculations and counter-speculations are
underdetermined.

--Tim

Boycott espionage-enabled software!