1996-01-30 - Re: FV’s Borenstein discovers keystroke capture programs! (pictures at 11!)

Header Data

From: droelke@rdxsunhost.aud.alcatel.com (Daniel R. Oelke)
To: nsb@nsb.fv.com
Message Hash: 1c71bafd4d8fde3cd22ab3440fcd9395272ec8c8b8886b8750738522b6100eb3
Message ID: <9601292318.AA20907@spirit.aud.alcatel.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:50:40 +0800

Raw message

From: droelke@rdxsunhost.aud.alcatel.com (Daniel R. Oelke)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:50:40 +0800
To: nsb@nsb.fv.com
Subject: Re: FV's Borenstein discovers keystroke capture programs! (pictures at 11!)

> 2.  It has nothing to do with viruses.  No current virus protection
> program will ever detect this thing, and if you write a program that
> detects one instantiation of the attack, the program can be easily
> changed to require a new "detector" program.  This means you can only
> protect against the last attack, not the next one.

It has *everything* to do with viruses.  Your program is not a virus
BUT the press release tells the "danger" of trusting your own computer.
If your own computer is doing something other than what the
software on it is advertised as doing you have a virus, or trojan
horse like a dirty-picture-viewer-with-keyboard-capture.

Virus's and trojan horses are nothing new.  The detector programs
keep up with them quite nicely and make a good buck doing it.

As for the technical content of the program - I'ld hack up
a DOS version tonight if I thought it was worth my effort
to drag the PC compiler/assembler out of mothballs.  (I don't
do MS-Windows).  A weeks time is more that enough for any
technically competent programmer to do the capture and add in
the Windoze bells and whistles.

I find that FV's hype on this is nothing but a thin disguise
for a selling of their product.  Come-on guys.  Sell your
product, not FUD.

Dan
Dan Oelke                                  Alcatel Network Systems
droelke@aud.alcatel.com                             Richardson, TX

Thread