1996-01-18 - Re: CryptoAPI and export question

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: Tom Johnston <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 22c95a7d095999e951fa4ec191cea1f8caf1709cdd4c4fec30f81a18eba7c16e
Message ID: <9601181700.AA02008@zorch.w3.org>
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 09:00:48 PST

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 09:00:48 PST
To: Tom Johnston <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CryptoAPI and export question

>Two points:  the CSP development kit is export-controlled; and signing a
>CSP developed by a foreign vendor is treated as a export -- so the signature
>is export-controlled.

>We would ship a CSP development kit to a foreign vendor, and sign a CSP
>developed by the foreign vendor, but only with the appropriate export licenses.

This could lead to problems. I'm not sure what the European Community reaction
to US attempts to export its legal system will be.

The problem is that the Lotus Notes scheme changes the previous deal. Before the
European governments benefited from the US export control laws because they had
wiretap abilities. Now they are denied wiretap capabilities and have the US able
to snoop on all their traffic.

Could find yourselves in the middle of a nasty battle...

		Phill

Thread