1996-01-04 - Re: Unmuzzy Explained

Header Data

From: Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net>
To: Jason Rentz <andr0id@midwest.net>
Message Hash: 252282ce16996960decdb51c877e115ed393828e3178f1cdebba14399b93376b
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960103152648.6052A-100000@micro.internexus.net>
Reply To: <199601031924.NAA24001@cdale1.midwest.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-04 03:10:00 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 11:10:00 +0800

Raw message

From: Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 11:10:00 +0800
To: Jason Rentz <andr0id@midwest.net>
Subject: Re: Unmuzzy Explained

> >So is the idea beyond this that if file or a group of files were to
> >be distributed over many computers (possibly hundreds or more) then
> >none of the computers would be "responsible" for their content? I would
> >think that any participant in the network would have to claim full
> >responsibility for the content, assuming the file(s) could be accessed
> >from any of the participating servers.
> >
> Okay.  So what if serveral groups of computers, in public FTP directories,
> allowed anonymous ftp uploads of "parts" of a file that would be construde
> as bad content.  The only way to assemble the file is to download several
> parts of it from serveral diffrent servers and assemble the file on your
> system.  Thus the illegal file isn't illegal until its assembled.  Sorta
> like switchblade knives.  Lots of places can sell the parts legally, they
> just can't sell the assembled product.  Would the servers that contain
> "parts" of the file be responsible for the content?

PGP encrypting a file and putting it on an ftp site is unusable unless
you have the key to unlock it.. in this sense the file is only partly
on-line and therefore there would be no need to even split the file apart
to various servers! Would the site containing this PGP encrypted data
be responsible for it's content?

Thread