1996-01-18 - Re: Ozzie Apes Jim Clark, Fix Is In to Cave and Cry

Header Data

From: Frank Stuart <fstuart@vetmed.auburn.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 27c64afa08d5684680316ca9f4ba5f5588ca3da43efb635de82e0e174ab837c0
Message ID: <199601181652.KAA13172@snoopy.vetmed.auburn.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 08:53:09 PST

Raw message

From: Frank Stuart <fstuart@vetmed.auburn.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 08:53:09 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Ozzie Apes Jim Clark, Fix Is In to Cave and Cry

>Wall Street Journal, Jan 18, 1996
>
>IBM Compromises on Encryption Keys, U.S. Allows Export of
>More-Secure Notes
[...]
>The new overseas version of Notes, tagged Release 4, will give
>foreign users 64-bit security. But to get permission to export
>the software, Lotus agreed to give the government access to 24
>of those bits by using a special 24-bit key supplied by the
                        ^
>National Security Agency.
[...]

Does anyone know if there really is just one 24-bit key for every copy of
Lotus Notes or is this a miscommunication?  If there really is just one 24-bit
key for everyone, can't you just look for the bits that don't change among
different 64 bit keys?  (e.g. AND a "sufficiently large" number of 64-bit keys
together to find the 1's that don't change and then OR them to find the 0's
until you've got the 24 bit key).  Someone, please tell me that's not how it
works (or post the 24-bit key  :>).

                          | (Douglas) Hofstadter's Law:
Frank Stuart              | It always takes longer than you expect, even
fstuart@vetmed.auburn.edu | when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Thread