1996-01-16 - Re: Crypto anarchist getting through customs

Header Data

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 3268616fc208df3d4383e35fd66f981fba949065b02fbbfceaf2ecc2ea7f9717
Message ID: <Pine.BSD.3.91.960115234721.21412B-100000@usr1.primenet.com>
Reply To: <ad1ff257040210044402@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-16 05:50:53 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 13:50:53 +0800

Raw message

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 13:50:53 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Crypto anarchist getting through customs

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> YCO: " 'Cryptography'? "  (A look of no comprehension.)
>
> Me: "Yes, cryptography. You know, secret codes, ciphers, stuff like that."
>
> YCO: "Were there any foreigners present?"
>
> Me: "Yes, it was in Monte Carlo. There were some Russians there, and lots
> of others."
>
> YCO: [brief pause] "Did you bring anything back with you?"
>
> Me: "No."
>
> YCO: [waved me through]

	You were lucky. had the YCO understood the implications of
    crypto, he probably would not have been so genial.

	San Fransisco is a good entry port for that reason --it does not
    seem to be a major drug entry point via commercial airlines.
    Secondly, the four or five times I have gone through there have been
    hi-bye even though I am flagged --however, carrying a foreign service
    passport (which has no relation to immunity) requires them to manually
    enter the number...  end of story in loose ports.

> In my carry-on luggage I had half a dozen magneto-optical disks, carring
> about a gigabyte of stuff. (As props to use during my talk on the
> France/Monte Carlo side, ironically, to show that borders are fully
> transparent.)

	For the record, I have _never_ imported or exported anything
    relevant as my own courier; there are far too many easy ways...

> Frequent travellers to Europe will no doubt confirm what I'm saying. I
> travelled to dozens of countries in Europe a while back, and never was
> checked at any borders, save for a quick glance at my passport.
>
> --Tim May

	For the most part that is very true.  The only places I ever get
    hassled is at obscure German-Swiss borders at night (driving).
    Usually an older officer stuck with nights to encourage resignation
    --breeds a foul temper and absolute lack of humour --not that the
    Swiss ever had one <g) --I can say that with impunity: I am Swiss.

	Other than bombs, the Europeans are just not cynically paranoid.

> "National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."

	yup, there's always high bandwidth spread spectrum in a truck.

		attila
    go not unto usenet for advice, for the inhabitants thereof will say:
      yes, and no, and maybe, and I don't know, and fuck-off.

    To be a ruler of men, you need at least 12 inches....

Thread