1996-01-04 - Re: Starting an e-cash bank

Header Data

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
To: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Message Hash: 330c3dbbeb1e6b27258278eb9718801a9dec21b86e58d194a44ae652b7275b77
Message ID: <v02120d1fad11eb9da339@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 05:49:42 +0800

Raw message

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 05:49:42 +0800
To: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Subject: Re: Starting an e-cash bank

At 12:41 1/4/96, Scott Brickner wrote:

>Wait a minute.  I can see how one needn't be a bank to convert ecash
>into pcash, but going the other way requires that the cash be
>transferrable in ways that Digicash isn't.
>
>If I withdraw ecash from the bank, it's marked so I'm the one who's
>identified if it's double-spent.  If I give the cash to someone else
>(different from paying it to them, which requires they have an account)
>they're free to double-spend with (relative) impugnity.

Present day Ecash is bases on online clearing. I does not encode any user
idendifiying information into the coin. You are thinking of offline Ecash.
Besides, wherer users get the Ecash from, be it by putting money into their
account at MT or buying it from you doesn't matter. They still need an
account with MT.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.

Thread