1996-01-27 - Re: “This post is G-Rated”

Header Data

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 36beea55c5373187d32af6b285dc5b0478db806473c95e684dfd8ced69754693
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960125154936.1505F-100000@chivalry>
Reply To: <199601252156.NAA28375@netcom6.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-27 09:20:22 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 17:20:22 +0800

Raw message

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 17:20:22 +0800
To: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: "This post is G-Rated"

On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Bill Frantz wrote:

> ... Discussion of rating systems elided.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for achieving the goals of the V-Chip with
> many non-govermental rating agencies?  It seems to me that empowering
> parents would head off the TV/Internet censors.  Any parent who was

THere are several schemes being put about that work along those lines,
with message formats being standardised, but not the actual values - you
should then pick your favourite rating agency, and they determine what is
rated and how.  This system creates a new market for rating agencies, and
it also helps parents to determine more precisely what *they* think is fit
for their children.

There are pros and cons for both the single set of standard codes, and
the niche model - a single set is likely to be just a little above the
lowest common denominator; with niches kids whose parents who pick the CC
rating agency aren't going to be getting talk.origins in their newsrc
anytime soon.

Thread