1996-01-29 - Re: “German service cuts Net access” (to Santa Cruz)

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 37affd16f701af9359cace6bd047fe97e4724fb5b2d3a97e2a4adde88aa6e71b
Message ID: <199601291021.CAA17319@ix10.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 02:35:53 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 02:35:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "German service cuts Net access" (to Santa Cruz)

At 09:54 PM 1/27/96 -0800, shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green) wrote:
>Wonder how long before they will include gereral purpose proxies in the
>proposed ban.
>We should start a "banned websites pool". If a site gets banned, the
>controversial content will be mirrored at all other sites. There are enough
>ISPs on this list to make that happen. Will they have the courage?

If I were running an ISP, I wouldn't go providing free host space for a
mirror of Nazi files just because they'd been banned (and an obvious
scan is to go claiming you've been banned just to get free space.)
On the other hand, an HTTP relay site would be a highly reasonable
service, perhaps with NNTP relaying as well.
#--
#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com, Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281
# http://www.idiom.com/~wcs