1996-01-21 - Re: A Modest Proposal

Header Data

From: “James M. Cobb” <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
To: tcmay@got.net
Message Hash: 39659af9da7ca4163826ea4461612c8872a8e6b123038005c53c79cd2bb0b36b
Message ID: <Pine.BSD.3.91.960121002749.5206A-100000@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 13:41:19 +0800

Raw message

From: "James M. Cobb" <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 13:41:19 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net
Subject: Re: A Modest Proposal

  Tim,

  On 01 17 96 you say:

    ...we are for people looking out for Number One, with the
    expectation that many other people simply won't make it.

  I'm reading Christopher Hill's The English Bible and the
  Seventeenth-Century Revolution.  At page 270:

    In 1616 John Rolfe, Secretary to the Virginia Company,
    attributed to Sir Thomas Dale the view that the English
    were 'a peculiar people marked and chosen by the finger
    of God' to possess North America.  But the phrase [pecu-
    liar people] soon ceased to be equivalent to 'the chosen
    people' and came to be restricted to descriptions of them-
    selves by the saints.  In 1659 Christopher Feake urged
    'the real fifth-kingdom men' to 'become a peculiar people
    (or, as it were, a nation in the midst of the nation) wait-
    ing for the word of command from their leader [i.e. God] to
    execute the vengeance against Babylon'.  Christ's cause
    will 'be amiable in the eyes of all the nations in due time'.
    Quakers and Bunyan also used the phrase.  It indicated
    a group conscious of its superiority but also aware that
    it was a minority.

  Time tests prophecy and expectation alike.

  Hill's book has other pertinent things to say.  At p 248:

    There are two (at least) ways of using the Bible for political
    controversy, which are not easily separated.  First as CODE.
    When Thomas Goodwin in 1639 asked 'How, by degrees, do these
    Gentiles win ground upon the outward court in England?' he had
    already told us that Gentiles mean Papists.  'The outward court'
    continues a metaphor about the Jewish temple; but it was at
    Charles I's court that the Papists were making headway.

  At 249:

    Secondly, the symbols of the myth can be interpreted to taste.
    We have seen Cain pass from being all the reprobate to 'all
    great landlords', Nimrod from a tyrannical king to all kings,
    all persecutors; Samson from a type of Christ to a freedom
    fighter or a terrorist.  There seemed to be no limits.  Cen-
    sorship had to be restored....

    Some of the myths came to be put to secular uses.  John Bull
    with his cudgel, the bully of the waves, the master slave-
    trader, becomes the symbol of the chosen Anglo-Saxon people,
    of their manifest destiny to bring the world to protestant
    Christianity, to civilization, and in our century to 'demo-
    cracy'.  But long before that the Bible had lost its function
    as final arbiter.

  At 176:

    But it is not totally absurd to suggest that the role of the
    [church] elders who decide and whose decisions are taken over
    by 'the people' is performed in our [present-day] society by
    the media.  The main difference is in the way in which spokes-
    men of the latter find their way to such powerful positions:
    unlike elders, they are not elected.

  I expect those spokesmen are simply looking out for their Number
  Ones

                       --their employers.

  Cordially,

  Jim

  NOTE.  The first bracketed insertion in the first quotation
  is mine; the second is not.  I capitalized CODE in the second
  quotation for the minority who can't see all that well.

  The book was published in 1993 by Allen Lane / The Penguin Press.
  Its ISBN: 0 713 99078 3.  Pages: xiv + 466.

Thread