1996-01-20 - Re: NSA vacuuming down Internet traffic

Header Data

From: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
To: Anonymous <nobody@REPLAY.COM>
Message Hash: 3c028d132c8200287aca5c1ff708e70f7df1ee7ca773c3c0455fe1de0a9854d8
Message ID: <Pine.SV4.3.91.960119124825.19718A-100000@larry.infi.net>
Reply To: <199601190923.KAA10526@utopia.hacktic.nl>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-20 17:54:21 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 01:54:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 01:54:21 +0800
To: Anonymous <nobody@REPLAY.COM>
Subject: Re: NSA vacuuming down Internet traffic

If I were standing in one of the places where NSA has it's taps of the
Net - what would I see? Alligator clips across terminal strips, leading
to a bunch of T3 lines?

Is there any open source - or otherwise - knowledge or speculation about
which words/phrases the Terra-cycle cpu's are text-searching *for*?  If it
were your responsibility to eavesdrop on Iranian terrorists - or French
Commercial Attache reports to Paris - or to have UK nationals, off in
their private room of your building, write down the name of every in
America who expresses a libertarian dissatisfaction with the Republicrat
regime - would you know for sure which words/phrases to key on?   It
doesn't sound like a tractable problem to me.

Of course, some people don't need to worry about the GAO doing their own
evaluation of how well an agency is doing its assigned mission!

Alan Horowitz
alanh@norfolk.infi.net

Thread