1996-01-13 - Reach out! Update 01 (CypherPurists trash this)

Header Data

From: “Sudduth, Larry” <SudduthLM@SecureC2.com>
To: “‘CypherPunks’” <rainbird@smartlink.net>
Message Hash: 484281a58a0798ea144b9f7c1861f6f7e84f4e5e3820c3d20e94f8d624036ba4
Message ID: <c=US%a=%p=SecureC2%l=Private_MDB-960113072328Z-9@sc2>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-01-13 08:14:37 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 16:14:37 +0800

Raw message

From: "Sudduth, Larry" <SudduthLM@SecureC2.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 16:14:37 +0800
To: "'CypherPunks'" <rainbird@smartlink.net>
Subject: Reach out! Update 01  (CypherPurists trash this)

(I know this is way off topic, but I wanted to apologize to all anyway for
my last posting with the RTF crap in it.  I tried unsuccessfully to correct

the RTF problem as a result of previous list discourse, and fervently
believe that it is fixed now.  If not, I guess I'll find out about it.
 Anyway, thanks for your forbearance, and now for some noise.)

The merchant must have been so impressed by the pent-up market demand for
the "How to Beat and Kill Your Ex-Wife and an Unlucky Innocent  . . .  And
Get Away With It" video, that the ordering procedure has been changed to a
toll number.  I'm sure the merchant desires potential customers to call
collect, after all who in the world  would pay money for the privilege of
buying a product?  I believe the new number is 0-818-879-0614, remember to
say "operator" when prompted, so you can request a collect call.  I have up

to now always been greeted by a busy signal, so fear that I could have to
validate the above number by calling the toll-free number (see original
noise below) again.

If one wants to directly dial the toll number, one can suppress one's phone

number from being reported to the merchant via Caller ID by dialing *67
prior to the call, at least here in Bell Atlantic land.  Check with your
telco to be sure.  (Interstate support for Caller ID is currently spotty so

this could be a non-issue.)  This strategy should be employed if one is
leery of being on the receiving end of future direct mail campaigns
offering products similar to the "How to Beat and Kill Your Ex-Wife and an
Unlucky Innocent  . . .  And Get Away With It" video, just for discussing
the particulars of the video with one of the merchant's staff.  Direct mail

campaigns target people who've previously inquired (and not necessarily
bought) by phone.  As an aside, I know y'all knew that your number (i.e.,
the number dialed from) is always reported to the recipient at an 800
number, and that this cannot be suppressed.

After calling the toll-free number several times, I was able to write down
the new telephone number for ordering the "How to Beat and Kill Your
Ex-Wife and an Unlucky Innocent  . . .  And Get Away With It" video.  It
took several attempts because I kept encountering pens with no ink in them
in my desk.  The recording doesn't really describe the video at all, just
refers to the oh-jay video.  I haven't heard the actual title of the video,

since I couldn't get through to a human at the merchant's telephone number.

 Since calling it the oh-jay video sounded so darned impersonal, I took a
stab at a seemingly appropriate title.

>William T. Rainbird wrote January 12, 1996 2:12 AM
>I know this isn't a typical posting for this group, but I thought I'd
>point out that O.J. Simpson has a video for sale, to further exploit his
carnage.
>You can buy it by dialing 1-800-OJTELLS 1-800-658-3557 it is a FREE CALL
>(for you).  I guess that means the MERCHANT PAYS for the calls, even if
>NOTHING IS ORDERED...
>
>Please repost and tell your friends!

SudduthLM@SecureC2.com
The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author only, etc.

y, etc.

Thread