1996-01-25 - Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

Header Data

From: iagoldbe@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ian Goldberg)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4c203c535dfba762594293356f9a03778d6fdf1afd64a1ac7964d1e13be75bf6
Message ID: <4e8k70$bje@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Reply To: <ad2b4efa0102100435ee@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-25 21:45:36 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 05:45:36 +0800

Raw message

From: iagoldbe@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ian Goldberg)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 05:45:36 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

In article <310612A1.69E7@netscape.com>,
Jeff Weinstein  <jsw@netscape.com> wrote:
>  Another problem is that the government may consider any "help" provided
>to the foreign entity to be evidence of a conspiracy.  When Eric Young
>released SSLEAY we got a call from someone in the State Department
>(probably some lackey paid for by the NSA) to find out if we provided
>him with any "help" in doing his implementation.  Since he did it all
>on his own from the published spec and was able to test interoperability
>over the internet we were off the hook, but they seemed to be prepared
>to come down on us if we had "conspired" with him.

You don't have to go as far as calling it a conspiracy.  Remember
statement (5) that I posted yesterday:

(5) Performing a defense service on behalf of, or for the benefit of, a
foreign person, whether in the United States or abroad.

If Netscape had "helped" Eric write SSLEAY, that would count as a defense
service for the benefit of a foreign person.

Section 120.9:

@ 120.9 -- Defense service.

   Defense service means:

   (1) The furnishing of assistance (including training) to foreign persons,
whether in the United States or abroad in the design, development, engineering,
manufacture, production, assembly, testing, repair, maintenance, modification,
operation, demilitarization, destruction, processing or use of defense articles;
or

   (2) The furnishing to foreign persons of any technical data controlled under
this subchapter (see @ 120.10), whether in the United States or abroad.

   - Ian

Thread