1996-01-04 - SecureDrive News

Header Data

From: Edgar Swank <edgar@Garg.Campbell.CA.US>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 5e10a7103b2146201bfcb6e758966f00c49a5d7aff182d1782c2c75e5c14f6df
Message ID: <o2B7gD9w165w@Garg.Campbell.CA.US>
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 22:27:19 +0800

Raw message

From: Edgar Swank <edgar@Garg.Campbell.CA.US>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 22:27:19 +0800
To: Cypherpunks          <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: SecureDrive News

Overseas FTP site Changes

As I thought might happen, the operators of the utopia ftp site have
moved SecureDrive 1.4a from the incoming directory to a permanent
home,

ftp://utopia.hacktic.nl/pub/reply/pub/disk/secdr14a.zip
ftp://utopia.hacktic.nl/pub/replay/pub/crypto/CRYPTOapps/secdr14a.zip

It has also appeared on at least one "mirror" site

Host ftp.univie.ac.at

    Location: /security/crypt/mirrors/utopia.hacktic.nl/crypto/CRYPTOapps
           FILE -r--r--r--     131174  01-Jan-1996 01:54:57  secdr14a.zip
    Location: /security/crypt/mirrors/utopia.hacktic.nl/disk
           FILE -r--r--r--     131174  01-Jan-1996 01:54:57  secdr14a.zip

which turned up in an Archie search.

New Utility for use with SecureDrive and Windows 3.1

I have previously recommended EDOS as a mechanism to allow setting
PGPPASS under a DOS window of Windows 3.1.  A user has brought to my
attention that a freeware utility, SETENV, that can be found at

ftp://ftp.coast.net/SimTel/msdos/envutil/stnvjw25.zip

that has the same function and also has a "password" mode for non-echo
entry.  I just tried it and it seems to work.

SecureDrive and Windows 95

I have gotten many inquiries about SecureDrive and Windows 95.  I
don't have a copy of Win95 myself, but, based on user reports, I can
report that SecureDrive 1.4a does work with Windows 95, but with some
restrictions.

1)Always run CRYPTDSK and LOGIN under bare DOS, outside of Windows 95.
Do not try to run either in a DOS window under Win95.

2)Run SECTSR and LOGIN x: /S in AUTOEXEC.BAT before other TSR's.

3)Run LOGIN x:  (prompts for passphrase) later in AUTOEXEC.BAT, but
before entering Windows. Enter the correct passphrase if you
anticipate needing access to the encrypted partition.

4)After entering Windows, use the Control Panel to set 16-bit disk
access. Use of 32-bit drivers may give direct access to the encrypted
data, which is very dangerous for integrity of the data.

I'm told step 4 may not be necessary if the encrypted partition has
its own physical disk. In this case, Win95 will automatically switch
to 16-bit drivers if the correct passphrase is entered to enable
access to the encrypted partition.

I've also been told of one instance where CRYPTDSK and/or LOGIN failed
to find the correct partition from the DOS drive letter. If this
happens, use the physical partition parameters, as explained in the
documentation.

Please continue to report experiences & problems to me.

Edgar W. Swank   <edgar@Garg.Campbell.CA.US>

--
edgar@Garg.Campbell.CA.US (Edgar Swank)
The Land of Garg BBS -- +1 408 378-5108