1996-01-03 - Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 62665e3315f14d2c867796dd75d9642f4c77e5b8bc065d678f82b8aaa8f587b8
Message ID: <199601021621.IAA07942@blob.best.net>
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 21:20:32 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 21:20:32 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers

At 09:07 PM 1/1/96 -0500, David Mandl wrote:
>I agree.  It's not a good idea to assume that there's going to be some kind
>of widespread opposition movement when the big Net Crackdown comes.  Most
>people will either obey the law, be unaffected by it, or violate it in very
>insignificant ways ("net jaywalking").

When printing was introduced in the west, the big print crackdown
was successful, but there was great resistance, and the crackdown
on the printed word required great and continuing violence over
a long period, and was never entirely effective.

A net crackdown will be substantially less effective than the print
crackdown was, and the level of violence is likely to be greater.

There is of course a tradeoff:  An highly ineffectual net crackdown
will not provoke large scale resistance.  They can probably force
the stuff on alt.pictures.erotica.children to be published in a
more discreet manner.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com