1996-01-03 - Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Rosenberg” <hal9001@panix.com>
To: John Goerzen <goerzenj@complete.org>
Message Hash: 64a27a427260d271f56652abe08d14ba9fd36364935b8d3e06e82671fc828ab5
Message ID: <v02140a06ad0fcc322a7c@[165.254.158.231]>
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 06:38:58 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Rosenberg" <hal9001@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 06:38:58 +0800
To: John Goerzen <goerzenj@complete.org>
Subject: Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

At 23:03 1/2/96, John Goerzen wrote:

>CompuServe is not location-dependant.  The network operates exactly the
>same regardless of calling location (indeed, the system doesn't even know
>where you're calling from I believe).  It is a worldwide CompuServe
>Network that people use to access it.  This network just allows dialups
>and then gets the users connected to the CompuServe computers.  The main
>computers handle all traffic.  They don't are location-independant,
>making it impossible to block access based on location.

CIS always knows where you are dialing in from. Here is the start of a
typical connection (using the Mac Program NAVIGATOR).

>0001NUH
>
>Host Name:  CIS
>
>User ID: xxxxx,xxx/INT
>Password:
>[Navigator: Logged on]
>
>Welcome to CompuServe Information ServiceT01NUH @38400!
>
>Last access: Mon, Dec 18, 1995 23:11
>Connected to port CIS T01NUH @38400

That NUH identifies that I am calling in via a V34 Node in NYC and the T01
says I got the first modem on the Rotory. If CIS wanted to restrict access
via the NYS nodes, that NUH would be an adequate flag to trigger this
action.

Thread