1996-01-03 - Re: Guerilla ISP’s…

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 6c3c33c85abb66fa8692387d0b036c46312dc6d6ce41b0cc0c8e35fbbabca431
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960102150318.895B-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960102115836.008c6b40@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-03 15:03:15 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 23:03:15 +0800

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 23:03:15 +0800
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Guerilla ISP's...

On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> At 06:49 PM 1/1/96 -0800, Lucky Green wrote:
>
> >That is called a conspiracy. The consequence is that all machines involved
> >will be confiscated and their respective owners jailed.
> >

> >-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com>
> >   PGP encrypted mail preferred.
>
> If the processes are operating in encrypted accounts not under the control
> of the machine owner it is hard to find the machine owner liable.  In
> addition, the Feds can only afford a few prosecutions at $50-$100K each
> (Brian, if you're listening what *does* the average Federal prosecution
> cost?).  The cost of setting up servers is much lower than the cost of

I am listening, but don't know the marginal cost of such a prosecution.
It is really more a reallocation of already existing resources.  For
example, we could let the state prosecutors handle a bank robbery or
three while we protect the unwary innocent from encryption!

EBD

BTW our office collects more every year (from fines, foreclosures,
bankruptcies, affirmative civil cases, etc. etc.) than our total office
budget.  We make money -- so why am I unpaid this week!   :-)

> busting them.
>
> DCF
>
> "RIP -- the Interstate Commerce Commission.  Dead Jan 1 at the age of
> 120(?).  The first Federal regulatory agency.  One down, thousands to go."

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame away! I get treated worse in person every day!!

Thread