1996-01-26 - Re: “This post is G-Rated”

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: Duncan Frissell <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 707c8f7d10998d7bacfb8dc093723d2103cd1bf3e9532a8a8fcc00c8c6247d2c
Message ID: <199601261839.KAA19993@netcom6.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 05:29:58 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 05:29:58 +0800
To: Duncan Frissell <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "This post is G-Rated"

At  6:13 AM 1/26/96 -0500, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>At 01:58 PM 1/25/96 -0800, Bill Frantz wrote:
>
>>The big problem is how are the labels attached to the programs.  I
>>agree with Tim that it is probably imposible for individual Usenet
>>postings.  However is should be possible for TV programs, and whole
>>newsgroups.
>
>Since TV programs will soon *be* "individual Usenet postings," it will not
>be possible to rate them.  Even the Earth doesn't have that much time.  The
>economic "drag" involved would be too great.

I think you have a very different view of rating than I do.  For example, I
would be comfortable rating all the Sesame Street shows for sex and
violence without seeing any more than I have seen, just based on the
reputation of the show's producers.  Based on reviews in the newspaper
(since the net has replaced TV for me), most of the current network shows
can also be rated for all their episodes.  Remember also, there is an
"unrated" catagory.  Some people will refuse to access unrated material.
Others, (I suspect you and I) may seek it out.

>Once we have high-speed connections to the nets, the amount of video out
>there will explode.  There will be more to watch than watchers (remember
>video archives).  Search engines will help people find what they want and
>avoid what they don't want.  "Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll" (Wine, Women,
>and Song) will be like any other available subject -- some will want to find
>it and some will want to avoid it.  Just another problem of how to extract
>the content you want from all the mess.  Search engines won't be all that
>perfect but they will be all we have.

One possible addition to search engines would be to give the people who
have actually viewed the video/web page etc. an opportunity to rate it on
any of several criteria including whether they thought it was worth their
time.  Other people could then use these ratings as they wanted (including
ignoring them).  The big problem I see would be making the system easy
enough to use to get a reasonable response.

Bill

Thread