1996-01-31 - Re: Java Sniffer (Was: Re: FV Announces That The Sky Is Falling)

Header Data

From: lyalc@ozemail.com.au (lyal collins)
Message Hash: 7c748bfa4f5f264a7939facb905ebaf8c03d99cc80102d9ce47235247848a650
Message ID: <199601300631.RAA28225@oznet02.ozemail.com.au>
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 16:39:56 +0800

Raw message

From: lyalc@ozemail.com.au (lyal collins)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 16:39:56 +0800
Subject: Re: Java Sniffer (Was: Re: FV Announces That The Sky Is Falling)

>Much more likely, IMHO, than a Java sniffer is a Java Trojan horse that pops
>up an innocuous dialog box and asks you to enter some sensitive piece of
>information, then sends it off somewhere. About all it takes to write that is
>a modicum of skill in user interface design. You could write it in any
>programming language, but in Java it may be particularly effective, since
>people may come to expect to be prompted for sensitive info over the net by
>Java apps. Maybe the Java folks who just left Sun decided to seize the
>opportunity ;>
>
>Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>

A very realistic scenario - any comments or reasons it can't happen ??
second question:
How can you be sure you receive the applet that you "think" you've requested ?

Any illuminating comments to assit my awareness of java ?
lyal

Thread