1996-01-25 - PGP in Eudora and other mail programs

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 88f060453951e36303db3fbddbc7a4687a0d2a6ce5e7be11dfd19cf2b223d09e
Message ID: <ad2d0b540b0210044d67@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:26:11 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:26:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PGP in Eudora and other mail programs

At 2:13 PM 1/25/96, Clay Olbon II wrote:

>Seriously, this just illustrates the idiocy of banning "hooks" in software.
>How does one define a "hook"?  Just providing source code could be defined
>as providing a hook, since a good programmer could then modify it to do
>crypto.  Also, how about the various kits and tools used to integrate pgp
>with pine, eudora, etc -- are these not "hooks"?

And yet how many of these programs actually can transparently
(automatically, push-button, etc.) support PGP? I've been a user of Eudora
for several years, and have pressed for PGP hooks. The company, Qualcomm,
once told me it was on their list of things to do, but....

A few years later, still no PGP-in-Eudora. One would think that this would
be a powerful way of distinguishing their product from other mail packages.

(I understand from this list that Eudora for Windows is now doing this much
more automatically, that someone has a PGP-in-Eudora package. I don't think
it was from Qualcomm, but I could be wrong. As a Macintosh version user,
I'm hoping this comes to the Mac version as well.)

Food for thought.

--Tim May

Boycott espionage-enabled software!