1996-01-31 - ANNOUNCE: CryptDisk 1.2 for Macintosh

Header Data

From: wprice@primenet.com (Will Price)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9a321fc52e68ec189349146c7fe922f9fa616d3569558e3321e53f49fbaf8ce4
Message ID: <v02130500ad3470a2ddcf@[206.16.90.10]>
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 22:42:46 +0800

Raw message

From: wprice@primenet.com (Will Price)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 22:42:46 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: ANNOUNCE: CryptDisk 1.2 for Macintosh

I'm pleased to announce that version 1.2 of CryptDisk for Macintosh is now
available.

The Winner of MacUser's 1995 Shareware Award for Personal Tools, CryptDisk
is a soft partition encryptor for the Macintosh.  It lets you create
"files" of any size which can be mounted as if they were hard drives on
your desktop.  These files are encrypted/decrypted on the fly using the
IDEA encryption algorithm.  IDEA is an internationally known algorithm that
uses 128-bit keys.  Most cryptographers consider it significantly superior
to the government's DES standard.  CryptDisk makes data security a seamless
integrated component of your desktop allowing you instant access to huge
numbers of encrypted files including the ability to play QuickTime movies
directly from CryptDisks.

IMPROVEMENTS IN 1.2:

* CryptDisks can now be used on read-only volumes allowing CryptDisks to be
mounted from CD-ROMs.  Locking a CryptDisk in the Finder will also mount it
as a read only volume.

* New interface for specifying disk sizes allows arbitrarily sized disks
from 64K on up.  CryptDisks can now be sized to take up all the space on a
floppy disk.

* CryptDisk now dynamically informs the user for each volume how much
contiguous space is available to create a CryptDisk before specifying the
passphrase.

* The public distribution now contains native PowerPC code for the
application itself.  Previously, only the driver was native in the public
release.

* A serious security hole was plugged that should affect only a very small
number of users.  Please follow the release notes to make sure you are not
affected and to take appropriate steps if you are.

* CryptDisk is now much more robust about mounting disks and will inform
the user of the nature of any problems it has mounting disks.

Information on obtaining the latest version is available to US and Canadian
citizens from:

ftp://ftp.primenet.com/users/w/wprice/README

or by visiting the web page:

http://www.primenet.com/~wprice/cdisk.html

You may also be able to obtain it from other export controlled FTP sites
around the US as it gets distributed.

CryptDisk is shareware for $20.  The source code is also available for an
extra $20.  Registered users receive access to beta versions of CryptDisk
and are sent announcements about its status periodically.

All CryptDisk release are signed by my public key:

- -Will

| Will Price   | wprice@primenet.com                   |
|  ________    | http://www.primenet.com/~wprice       |
|  \      /    | PGP key available by finger.          |
      \/

Thread