1996-01-16 - Re: Crypto anarchist getting through customs

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Message Hash: b727ccb6c34bb18f68027a46e73d6abb9383af569802ae18897a30a6f99718cd
Message ID: <ad205fc806021004b0a0@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 12:17:59 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 12:17:59 +0800
To: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Subject: Re: Crypto anarchist getting through customs

At 3:27 AM 1/16/96, Alan Horowitz wrote:
>My bullshit detector is starting to pin the needle.
>
>US Customs doesn't care about your political status or leanings.
>They want to collect the proper excise and catch contraband.
>
>There are INS people at passport control.   I am skeptical that they
>would detain a US passport holder for 36 hours. I would like to see some
>evidence that this actually happened.
>
>US citizens can't be excluded from the country, nor have their
>citizenship taken away from them.

Since you're addressing this to me, what exactly did I say--be
specific--that you think I was bullshitting about?

They can, and do, detain entering citizens, as the Zimmermann case showed.
And our own Fred Cohen confirms that he was detained upon re-entering the
U.S. from Canada.

--Tim May