1996-01-30 - Re: The FV Problem = A Press Problem

Header Data

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: bafcb10366085dbcbcd44a399f8e068ed859c977e83554431d86e320f3970f1a
Message ID: <0l3Xq6uMc50eFIr1IW@nsb.fv.com>
Reply To: <ad3308ec2c0210043fb2@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-30 18:33:40 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 02:33:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 02:33:40 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: The FV Problem = A Press Problem

Excerpts from mail: 30-Jan-96 The FV Problem = A Press Pr.. Timothy C.
May@got.net (2439*)

> But, it occurred to me, this is just part of the larger syndrom. Simson's
> article was practically written from the FV press release. While he
> interviewed some "security experts," clearly the timing of his article
> (this morning) and the announcement by Nathaniel of his discovery (this
> morning) suggests the cozy relationship involved.

FYI, you've got the order of events completely backwards.  We haven't
yet even written a press release, actually, though we're likely to do so
shortly.  The first news was Simson's story.  We wanted to make sure
that the first reporter was sophisticated enough to understand the
story, and Simson (as the author of "Practical UNIX Security" certainly
qualifies.)  Simson's story appeared on the Web and AOL, which prompted
my statement in response to that story.  -- NB
--------
Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@fv.com>
Chief Scientist, First Virtual Holdings
FAQ & PGP key: nsb+faq@nsb.fv.com