1996-01-10 - Re: PRIVACY: Private traces in public places

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bb77cc403a4e956fa843cc635b7ee89cc1be612320c832870d397f5d76b7621c
Message ID: <199601101243.NAA21309@utopia.hacktic.nl>
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Jan 96 04:43:45 PST

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 96 04:43:45 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PRIVACY: Private traces in public places

Responding to msg by tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May) on Wed, 10
Jan  0:9  AM

>I'm not trivializing the issue of search engines and
>archiving systems  turning up articles written, old
>posts, etc. Every couple of weeks,  sometimes more
>often, someone sends me a copy of one of my postings
>and  claims that someone else must be forging my name
>(recent posts on racial  issues, for example--while I'm
>not a racist, I despise quotas, setasides,  and
>preferential treatment for lazy people, of any
>race...this obviously  makes some people "ashamed for
>me" :-}).

http://nytsyn.com/live/News3/006_010696_101827_2723.html

   Last summer the first case in Britain of a libel on the
Internet was
   settled out of court when Laurence Godfrey accepted
undisclosed
   damages from another nuclear physicist, Philip Hallam-Baker,
over
   remarks made in 1993 on Usenet, an electronic conference
with 16
   million users. And Peter Lilley, the Social Security
Secretary, sent a
   stiff letter to the vice-chancellor of Leeds University
after one of
   its students used a faculty computer to make defamatory
allegations
   about him.

Thread