1996-01-30 - Re: FL Demonstrates Fatal Flaw in Logins

Header Data

From: joseph@genome.wi.mit.edu (Joseph Sokol-Margolis)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bbb4979efdeb4acc61014b51f07a42b6ac114e51810665038e8c83d144e0c5ff
Message ID: <v02140a03ad32fed1edf8@[18.157.1.107]>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 17:17:15 +0800

Raw message

From: joseph@genome.wi.mit.edu (Joseph Sokol-Margolis)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 17:17:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FL Demonstrates Fatal Flaw in Logins

Sorry to all, but I'm not seeing what would appear to be obvious.
There seems to be a lot of talk about FV "new program" that undermines
security of computer login/credit cards over the net and such like that. I
don't know about you guys, but I wrote stuff like that in sixth grade on
the old apple IIe. It's pretty simple to write a programs that attaches
itself to the keyboard driver and logs the text types, or only logs certain
parts, what is the large deal? As it applies to internet security, I don't
see how it can make a difference. It must be run from the local computer,
at system level. If I'm on my home computer, I know what's running, and
feel safe that a loging program isn't amung them. What would enable a
remote site to pick up my typings.
However, I don't know much about Java, would it be possible to make such an
applet with Java?

--Joseph

Joseph Sokol-Margolis                                   joseph@genome.wi.mit.edu
Assistant Systems Administrator                                     seph@mit.edu
Whitehead Institute/MIT
Center for Genome Research                                 phone: (617) 252-1922
One Kendall Sq. Bldg. 300                                    fax: (617) 252-1902
Cambridge, MA 02139-1561
----------------------http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/~joseph/-----------------
----

Thread