1996-01-08 - Cool story.

Header Data

From: Kent Dahlgren <kent@trouble.WV.TEK.COM>
To: Clay Olbon II <olbon@dynetics.COM>
Message Hash: c0fb9c3b055745cad92a3db1433d5c5bbb1aa944c541b8c9cb5f729467b0fdba
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960108094419.261A-100000@trouble>
Reply To: <v01510103ad17023672f6@[193.239.225.200]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-08 20:05:23 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 04:05:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Kent Dahlgren <kent@trouble.WV.TEK.COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 04:05:23 +0800
To: Clay Olbon II <olbon@dynetics.COM>
Subject: Cool story.

I'm in the Air Guard and have been for almost 10 years. I work in the
crypto vault, which is really really boring. but we keep it interesting
by shreading pieces of cardboard in the outer vault and yelling to my
chief "...O.K. CHIEF...I'M SHREADING THE PICTURES OF THE CRASH SITE IN
NEVADA...YOU WANT ME TO SHREAD THEM ALL?"

Anyhow, last summer our material controller got tasked by (I think) the
OSI to do this emergency audit on this unit's material control section up
in Washington.  There's these cool safes that we use to store our cryto
in that look kinda like the ones behind Trey at:

http://www.msen.com/~olbon/trey.html

These safes are only build and sold for DOD use; you can't buy them as
civilians.  At least these specific ones are.
So it turns out that the guy who was in charge of the supplies of this
unit was selling all kinds of stuff at his garage sales, including some
of these safes.  This civilian bought a safe and a year or so later it
stopped working, so he called the phone number on the metal tag thats on
the safe.  The conversation went like this:

Safe manufacturer:  Hello?
Civilian:  Yeah, I got this safe of yours and its broken.
SM:  What unit are you with?
C:  HUH?
SM:  Who are you?
C:  Look, I don't like your attitude.  What does it matter who I am...who
    are you?!?  I want this thing fixed.
SM:  Are you with the military?
C:  No, why would I be?
SM:  Can I put you on hold for a second, please don't hang up.

You can guess the rest.  It didn't take them long to figure out what
happened, and the material control guy who sold the safe cut town. but
they got him.  At least that's how I heard it.  I hate to relay these
things second hand, but looking at Trey's picture made me remember it.

______ T E K T R O N I X _ C P I D _ T E C H N I C A L _ S U P P O R T _______
                      /
 Voice: 1.800.835.6100             E-mail: support@colorprinters.tek.com
    Fax: 1.503.685.3063                WWW: www.tek.com
     BBS: 1.503.685.4504            E-World: Keyword Tektronix
      HAL: 1.503.682.7450                AOL: Keyword Tektronix
   Service: 1.800.835.6100                FTP: ftp.tek.com