1996-01-17 - Re: A Modest Proposal: Fattening up the Proles

Header Data

From: Johnathan Corgan <jcorgan@aeinet.com>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: c36e2351421e939176ff531bd3d98cf19d0a76edf6eadeb370b535a461972c7e
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960117135833.111B-100000@comet.aeinet.com>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960117165226.006b21e4@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-17 22:15:31 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 17 Jan 96 14:15:31 PST

Raw message

From: Johnathan Corgan <jcorgan@aeinet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 96 14:15:31 PST
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: A Modest Proposal: Fattening up the Proles

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> The book suggests that small differences in perceived quality (or even
> 'luck') result in a big difference in marketplace results (whether for
> product or labor).  The title is a bit misleading.  It should be "The
> Winner-Take-Lots Society" since it does not say that non-winners are left
> with nothing (that thesis is promoted in other recent works of fiction.)

While I've not read the book, what you describe fits with the concept of
"sensitivity to initial conditions" that chaos theory discusses.

In this context, what Tim describes is a "sharpening" effect--i.e., the
differences in initial conditions necessary to distinguish between the two
eventual outcomes described is becoming smaller.

A neat way to visualize this is to picture what happens when you crank up
the contrast on a black and white TV.

Eric Hughes made an interesting comment, something to the effect that
this process only seems to be occurring in occupations that have
something in common, like easy transfer of job skill from one
worker to another, I don't quite remember.  Anyone remember specifically?

--
Johnathan M. Corgan
jcorgan@aeinet.com

Thread