1996-01-24 - Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

Header Data

From: thad@hammerhead.com (Thaddeus J. Beier)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cdec4ecaa967ab34622d232291a9f3565164fc9775700ceaf37cc5fd4e36a76b
Message ID: <199601240313.TAA02133@hammerhead.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:48:34 +0800

Raw message

From: thad@hammerhead.com (Thaddeus J. Beier)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:48:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

Dan Weinstein wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 1996 10:39:03 -0500, perry@piermont.com wrote:
>

> >Set up development shop overseas for the crypto plug-ins.
> >
> >The solution is obvious and easy.
> >
> >By the way, I really think Netscape should simply ship Jeff and other
> >people to the Amsterdam office or wherever else seems reasonable and
> >do all the crypto work from there. It will save trouble and
> >hassle. U.S. citizens wanting full 128 bit over the net would then get
> >it from Netscape's overseas download sites. No one anywhere in the
> >world would be forced to use crap.
>
> Wrong, this would be a violation of ITAR.

David Chaum is doing it, why can't Netscape?  I agree that it's
probably technically a violation.  I think that the real thing
that's stopping Netscape is the golden government handcuffs, they
don't want to piss off a big customer.

thad
-- Thaddeus Beier                     thad@hammerhead.com
   Technology Development                   408) 286-3376
   Hammerhead Productions        http://www.got.net/~thad

Thread