1996-01-03 - Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers (fwd)

Header Data

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
To: jim bell <ecarp@netcom.com
Message Hash: d494cb45afb43828ca7a04d228dc714404ba0c35f71bb94dd0d5cae37023da55
Message ID: <v02120d09ad107d570ca3@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 03:11:21 +0800

Raw message

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 03:11:21 +0800
To: jim bell <ecarp@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers (fwd)

At 9:43 1/3/96, jim bell wrote:

>Interestingly enough, my primary objection was NOT really commercial
>encroachment on an existing amateur structure (though that is an important
>consideration!); rather, it was the fact that because we're talking really
>short-range communication (way less than a kilometer, in most cases) using
>frequencies below a gigahertz would be a counter-productive shame.  Here, we
>WANT "line of sight"!  And, of course, the bandwidth issue is inherently
>better:  It would be FAR easier to get 100 MHz width at around 2.5 GHz than
>under 1 gig!

There are several vendors offering 2.4GHz wireless with ranges up to 20
miles. Though the 900MHz stuff is much cheaper. Unless you have a pager
cell on your roof, 900MHz should serve you fine.

>I get a free (bingo-card) magazine industry magazine called "Microwaves and
>RF," which is sort of the EDN for the high-frequency communication crowd.
>You'd be amazed at the level of technical (chip) development there.  Chip
>sets that do frequency synthesis/full RF/IF on surface mount chips.

If you don't want to build your own, there are various vendors that use the
NEC 900MHz bridge card in their products. Or just buy the card, get an old
486, and round up the software from somone.

>(BTW, I use Eudora, and I have PGP.  Could somebody explain how to PGP-sign
>messages, ideally EASILY?)

Assuming Eudora for Mac: Download MacPGP Control.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.

Thread