1996-01-04 - Re: Starting an e-cash bank

Header Data

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Message Hash: de166404334f3befd034bfce327d75fb0e38283249394596bc763f8e4849adf3
Message ID: <199601041841.NAA08502@universe.digex.net>
Reply To: <v02120d0fad10a42529be@[192.0.2.1]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-04 19:52:57 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 03:52:57 +0800

Raw message

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 03:52:57 +0800
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Subject: Re: Starting an e-cash bank

Lucky Green writes:
>At 13:25 1/3/96, Alex Strasheim wrote:
>>I've got a storefront in Chicago.
>>What would prevent me from opening up a Mark Twain account and buying and
>>selling ecash on floppies, in person?

>You touched on a very important issue: the party converting currency into
>Ecash does not have to be the Ecash bank. There have been discussions that
>in the future one should be able to buy Ecash on floppy at the local
>supermarket, similar to today's prepaid calling cards. I certainly would
>like to see that happen rather sooner than later.

Wait a minute.  I can see how one needn't be a bank to convert ecash
into pcash, but going the other way requires that the cash be
transferrable in ways that Digicash isn't.

If I withdraw ecash from the bank, it's marked so I'm the one who's
identified if it's double-spent.  If I give the cash to someone else
(different from paying it to them, which requires they have an account)
they're free to double-spend with (relative) impugnity.

What'd I miss?

Thread