1996-01-22 - Re: (cpx) Australian GAK?

Header Data

From: Roger.Clarke@anu.edu.au (Roger Clarke)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e24821b6398b0dab531940c54856abe90fccfe27adcaf68f142f607380a296d1
Message ID: <v02130555ad2923c9852d@[150.203.148.139]>
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jan 96 03:48:52 PST

Raw message

From: Roger.Clarke@anu.edu.au (Roger Clarke)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 96 03:48:52 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: (cpx) Australian GAK?

sdavidm@iconz.co.nz (David Murray) asked cypherpunks@toad.com:

>I've just seen a note to the effect that the (Australian) Senate Economics
>References Committee has recommended, in their recently tabled report
>quaintly entitled _Connecting You Now...Telecommunications to the Year
>2000_ the establishment of a third party body for the management of public
>key authentication.
>
>The Committee has also recommended the establishment of a national
>authentication system to be recognised internationally with credibility
>>with the legal system - True Names, most probably.
>
>Any c'punks closer to Canberra with the real goods?

So far, very few Australian Senate documents are up on the net (honourable
exception:  those of those of the Committee on 'Community Standards' and
on-line services);  but keep your eye on them, and maybe they'll catch up:
http://senate.aph.gov.au/

Steve Orlowski from the Australian Attorney-General's Department wrote a
paper in November/December 1995 which outlined the idea.  He's given me
permission to put it up.  Me?  I'm just playing proxy until A-G's really
come to believe in this medium (:-)}
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/II/Orlowski3

While you're at it, check these two out as well, and hit me with anything
that'll improve them:

-   hot-links concerned with regulation of the net:
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/II/Regn

-   a compendium of things that go bump on the net:
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/II/Netethiquettecases

Roger Clarke              http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/
Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd, 78 Sidaway St, Chapman ACT 2611 AUSTRALIA
Tel:  +61  6  288 6916                       Fax:   +61  6  288 1472

Visiting Fellow, Faculty of          Email:  Roger.Clarke@anu.edu.au
    Engineering and Information Technology
Information Sciences Building Room 211       Tel:   +61  6  249 3666
The Australian National University
Canberra   ACT   0200   AUSTRALIA            Fax:   +61  6  249 0010

Thread