1996-01-27 - ANNOUNCE: NEW MIXMASTER REMAILER

Header Data

From: lead remailer <lead@zifi.genetics.utah.edu>
To: N/A
Message Hash: e419c0011799a8a4e08ad9375e340a1fa8fc6593038678f0d894dc92d464cd25
Message ID: <199601250342.UAA01350@zifi.genetics.utah.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 16:38:44 +0800

Raw message

From: lead remailer <lead@zifi.genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 16:38:44 +0800
Subject: ANNOUNCE:  NEW MIXMASTER REMAILER

Hello all,

I am pleased to announce a new mixmaster remailer.  This remailer was
compiled and installed primarily using the mix-installer script
available from Adam Shostack.  To get the script, send a message to
adam@lighthouse.homeport.org with Subject: get mix-installer.

here is the relevant info:

address:	mix@zifi.genetics.utah.edu
long name:	lead remailer
short name:	lead

for your type2.list file:

lead mix@zifi.genetics.utah.edu a76c3fda7294a6695c5e6a931d1c0b73 2.0.3

Here is the public key for lead remailer:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
lead mix@zifi.genetics.utah.edu a76c3fda7294a6695c5e6a931d1c0b73 2.0.3

-----Begin Mix Key-----
a76c3fda7294a6695c5e6a931d1c0b73
258
AATH5fR56oEcdVRNn2SrjJ4XsoWb+lP2E2GgGdgI
2A3//3ctBkQ13xb5MHOfix8ra63PZmeCrK+6QbbV
Ql1iwboMMaWz8NPmNpQz2K0/vnTnp8tWEyL5vo95
jlRmACXPefXdLOzszAgfMn02rzzXrq+9AnaUAUxD
idxVglBkXRkriwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQAB
-----End Mix Key-----

Here is the mix-help file:

From: mix@zifi.genetics.utah.edu (Mixmaster remailer at zifi)
Subject: Instructions for using anonymous remailer

This message is being sent to you automatically in response to the message
you sent to mix@zifi.genetics.utah.edu with subject "remailer-help".

This is a Mixmaster remailer. It provides an extremely high level of security.
To use it, you must have a client program to produce the messages.
This software is available from ftp://flame.alias.net:/pub/replay/pub/remailer
Read the README file for instructions.

Some information can be sent to you by the remailer by including the
following commands (one per message) in the subject line of mail to the
remailer.

  remailer-help		This file.

  remailer-stats	Useage statistics for the last 24 hours.

  remailer-key		The mixmaster key file for this remailer.

This section of the helpfile is blatantly plagarized from the
mixmaster faq located at:
http://www.obscura.com/~loki/remailer/mixmaster-faq.html.

---
What is Mixmaster?

Mixmaster is a new class of anonymous remailers. Inspired by the existing
"cypherpunk" remailers and discussions on the Cypherpunk mailing list.
Mixmaster is the next generation in the evolution of remailer technology.

What is an anonymous remailer?

Quoting from Andre Bacard's remailer FAQ:

     An anonymous remailer (also called an "anonymous server") is a
     free computer service that privatizes your e-mail. A remailer
     allows you to send electronic mail to a Usenet news group or to a
     person without the recipient knowing your name or your e-mail
     address.

What do I need to use Mixmaster remailers?

Unlike other remailers, you can't just make your own message and send it to
the remailer. Mixmaster's security comes in part from using a special
message format. The disadvantage of this is that you need a special program
to make the message for you. Once you have that program (the client)
remailing is as easy as running the program, and telling it which remailers
you want to use.

How do I get the Mixmaster client software?

There are two sites for distribution. First, is ftp to obscura.com and
read /pub/remail/README.no-export. The other is by anonymous ftp to
jpunix.com.

You will have to follow the instructions there to get Mixmaster. Because
Mixmaster contains cryptography, it may not be exported from the U.S and
Canada. The reason for the circuitous route to download Mixmaster is to show
my good faith efforts to keep Mixmaster from being exported. I have heard
rumors that someone has already broken this law, and that Mixmaster is
available from Europe. I do not approve of this and will not support that
site.

Does Mixmaster use PGP?

No, Mixmaster uses the rsaref package from RSA. Mixmaster uses its own keys
and key file formats. To add a key to a key ring, simply append the key to
your key file using your favorite text editor.

Can mix@zifi.genetics.utah.edu post to News?

No.  News posting is not supported at this time.

Abuse Policy:
I consider the following to be inappropriate use of this anonymous remailer,
and will take steps to prevent anyone from doing any of the following:
- Sending messages intended primarilly to be harassing or annoying.
- Use of the remailer for any illegal purpose.
If you don't want to receive anonymous mail, send me a message, and I will
add your email address to the block list.

Thread