1996-01-27 - Re: Doctor Denning

Header Data

From: s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e85277964fbb86aad9832f19b1eecfdabe5d22d4e7e988208d1ca7eefbeb4842
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9601261909.A102260-0100000@aix2.uottawa.ca>
Reply To: <Pine.BSD/.3.91.960126150104.16758A-100000@l0pht.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-27 01:55:15 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 09:55:15 +0800

Raw message

From: s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 09:55:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Doctor Denning

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Weld Pond wrote:

> If found this interesting too.  I was waiting for the reason it wasn't
> inevitable but it never came.  Denning seems willing to predict a future
> where there are no more technical advances in fields like steganography and
> dc nets.
Or for that matter that the present ones will never get implemented.

Poor prof Denning...It strikes me as though her essay is a close
relative of "Reefer Madness", a supposedly hilariously rabid (I'm told)
anti-pot video which only potheads ever bother watching. The only people
who will read her webpage are us cypherpunks. Should by some
randomly-generated act of pot luck, anyone other than us read her ~38 pg.
rant, that person (non-LEA, of course) will probably be entertained enough
to join the list and read Tim's writings (only a search engine away).

It is also convenient that most of the search engines list multiple
occurences of the list archives, every time a search on cryptography
keywords is performed. (The archives don't list the majordomo address, could
this be the reason why we constantly get so many "subscribe me!" posts?
Waaay to go Dorothy!)

Somehow, I don't think her choice of medium is going to get her very far.
I wonder what a second edition of her crypto book would look like.

Thread