1996-01-22 - Re: The Lotus Position

Header Data

From: Kevin L Prigge <Kevin.L.Prigge-2@cis.umn.edu>
To: herbs@connobj.com (Herb Sutter)
Message Hash: f242224b74fb9ef9c61290739e65dd578c967440926e392fe02e5b6327e74d49
Message ID: <3103fbba05e7002@noc.cis.umn.edu>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960122012052.006d87c0@mail.interlog.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-22 21:05:15 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jan 96 13:05:15 PST

Raw message

From: Kevin L Prigge <Kevin.L.Prigge-2@cis.umn.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 96 13:05:15 PST
To: herbs@connobj.com (Herb Sutter)
Subject: Re: The Lotus Position

Herb Sutter said:
> In answer to a question from the floor, Ozzie did say that yes, the
> agreement reached with the NSA was scalable -- IOW, that you could use
> 128-bit keys and give the government 88 of them, instead of 64-and-give-24
> -- but in retrospect I wonder whether keeping Notes at 64 bits was a
> condition of the NSA deal.  I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but
> considering that Ray was clearly aware that the 64-bitness was going to
> raise eyebrows and still somehow didn't get around to simply strengthening
> it...  well, it makes you wonder.

Not really. I think the governments position has been 64 bits with
escrow. I doubt that they'd actually ship a 128 bit version with
88 bits escrowed, as I believe the government has stated in the
past that they don't want to give away the store even with escrow.

--
Kevin L. Prigge         |"Have you ever gotten tired of hearing those
UofM Central Computing  | ridiculous AT&T commercials claiming credit

Thread