1996-01-16 - Re: mailbombing and anonymity – inseparable

Header Data

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
To: bryce@colorado.edu
Message Hash: f72a896f0e140cff95a9319dcfeaa81c462618c9f66a29d8c5cd54707eef9b84
Message ID: <Pine.BSD.3.91.960116024602.874A-100000@usr1.primenet.com>
Reply To: <199601152251.PAA07589@nagina.cs.colorado.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-16 03:12:15 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 11:12:15 +0800

Raw message

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 11:12:15 +0800
To: bryce@colorado.edu
Subject: Re: mailbombing and anonymity -- inseparable

	if you get the usual 150+ msg/day I do, you break it up into
    folders, set the reader to proceed sequentially through the folders,
    in an order defined in .pinerc. I have 30 folders current.

	when a particular person becomes annoying:

	    # net assholes

	    :0 HB
	    * ( Fred.*Cohen|fc@all.net|vznuri|kevin.dirks )
	    assholes

    takes care of the problem nicely.

	If you get bored with a newsletter, etc. I move its
    folder address in procmail to "bigsleep" and every so
    often I try to cancel the group.

	Now, if I wish to really get hostile, I have a little
    program which returns the message showing "bounce@..." in
    the From:, Reply-To:, and Sent-By: fields. At the top of the
    body it 'shouts' the sender is objectionable and the mail
    returned.  It does keep a log of who it bounced and if it
    one of the no-return types, it 'learns' from another list
    to use /dev/null.

	There is no limit to how far you can go, including mail
    bombing. spoofing the top line From is hard to do for lack
    of insecure mailers, but it can be done by other means. The
    only spammer I have had trouble discouraging is nashville.net.
    But I really do not believe in mail bombing as it hurts too
    many bystanders --cheap to generate, but expensive to clean
    up after.

	So, indulge in procmail(), premail(), formail(), and
    older versions of smail() and join the fun.

    go not unto usenet for advice, for the inhabitants thereof will say:
      yes, and no, and maybe, and I don't know, and fuck-off.

    To be a ruler of men, you need at least 12 inches....

Thread