1996-01-22 - Re: Wipe Swap File

Header Data

From: Peter Monta <pmonta@qualcomm.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fa9a72099ebd62c956e8ed0fdbac3b621ef740ccb0d36c1baa2dd15939490f99
Message ID: <199601220243.SAA24710@mage.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <ad266bbe08021004727d@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-22 02:43:58 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Jan 96 18:43:58 PST

Raw message

From: Peter Monta <pmonta@qualcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 96 18:43:58 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Wipe Swap File

Tim May writes:

> Much more expensive would be various electron microscope-based imaging
> methods to directly image the domains and extract subtle signs of past
> write cycles.

I recently took a tour of Park Scientific, the scanning-probe
microscopy people, in Sunnyvale.  One of their demo-stations
showed a small portion of a hard disk (taken with an AFM
tip fitted with a small magnet to generate the force).  Most
impressive.  (I did look closely at the edges of the track,
but saw no sign of previous writes.)

Cheers,
Peter Monta   pmonta@qualcomm.com
Qualcomm, Inc./Globalstar