1996-01-30 - Re: [NOISY] Deutsche Telekom <–> webcom.com “routing troubles”

Header Data

From: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
To: Just Rich <rich@c2.org>
Message Hash: fbf91d5603bf0945e096098dc51a6e9043c75115c537b4a3614bb028a4a0ac1c
Message ID: <wl3UsQO00bkGAFXqQG@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199601292241.OAA11703@infinity.c2.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-30 13:01:55 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 21:01:55 +0800

Raw message

From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 21:01:55 +0800
To: Just Rich <rich@c2.org>
Subject: Re: [NOISY] Deutsche Telekom <--> webcom.com "routing troubles"

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 29-Jan-96 [NOISY] Deutsche Telekom
<-.. by Just Rich@c2.org
> Someone please inform Deutsche Telekom and the relevant prosecutors that
> by the time they read this (i.e., within an hour), selected files from
> Zundel's holocaust-denial archives (which make me sick, but that's beside
> the point) will be available at the AFS path:
>
>  /afs/ir.stanford.edu/users/l/llurch/WWW/Not_By_Me_Not_My_Views/
>
> One of the ways this directory can be reached is through:
>
>  http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~llurch/Not_By_Me_Not_My_Views/

I've set up another mirror site at Carnegie Mellon University. In my
mind, the mirror archive exists to demonstrate the folly and the
danger of Internet censorship. It's in is in the AFS directory:
  /afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/declan/www/Not_By_Me_Not_My_Views/

You can access it from the following web servers at these URLs:
  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/declan/www/Not_By_Me_Not_My_Views/
  http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~declan/Not_By_Me_Not_My_Views/
  http://web.mit.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/declan/www/Not_By_Me_Not_My_Views/

These servers are fairly robust and load-balanced, and I believe it will
difficult for attacks to succeed against them. In addition, anyone
with access to the globally-distributed AFS network can just cd into
the above AFS directory and read Zundel's files. Some German AFS sites
include, but are not limited to:

   afs-math.zib-berlin.de
   fh-heilbronn.de
   geo.uni-koeln.de
   lrz-muenchen.de
   hrzone.th-darmstadt.de
   mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de
   rhrk.uni-kl.de
   rrz.uni-koeln.de
   rus-cip.uni-stuttgart.de
   tu-chemnitz.de
   urz.uni-heidelberg.de

Deutsche Telekom's hostname-based censorship has already cut off
German users from over 1,500 U.S. businesses, including electronic and
computer businesses, art stores, online banks, and and even the Port
Douglas Visitors Bureau for Queensland, Australia.

If the German government forces Deutsche Telekom to block access to
web servers at Carnegie Mellon University, MIT, and Stanford
University, it will be slicing off communications with three of the
most respected universities in the United States.

-Declan

Thread