1996-02-24 - Edited Edupage, 22 February 1996

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0d3ffe26719c7735249f6a82160503f7328ca05d6080b3d3f04de664060a47de
Message ID: <01I1K6VFSPEYAKTLYD@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 10:24:33 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 10:24:33 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Edited Edupage, 22 February 1996

From:	IN%"educom@elanor.oit.unc.edu" 23-FEB-1996 00:27:10.72

Edupage, 22 February 1996.  Edupage, a summary of news items on information
technology, is provided three times each week as a service by Educom, a
Washington, D.C.-based consortium of leading colleges and universities
seeking to transform education through the use of information technology.

	This is the first I've heard (I think) that theirs will allow
electronic cash. Wonder what exactly this means?

>ELECTRONIC WALLET FROM ORACLE AND VERIFONE
>Oracle, which specializes in database software, and Verifone, which
>specializes in credit card verification systems, have formed an alliance
>that will allow customers using "electronic wallets" built into Internet
>browser software to access a full range of financial transaction methods,
>including credit and debit cards, smart cards and electronic cash.  The
>companies call it an "end-to-end" system for secure electronic commerce on
>the Internet.  (Financial Times 22 Feb 96 p16)

	Somehow, the cluelessness of governments sometimes amazes even me. Have
they ever heard of companies moving?