1996-02-11 - Re: Chinese/Indian censorship of alt.sex.* etc. (Was: China)

Header Data

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Message Hash: 182d4b3328e64e80231dae3b9351c37b56c547ce30addba89cc6de23eb47c81c
Message ID: <199602110103.UAA05043@opine.cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9602101826.D2343-0100000@mahavir>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-11 01:24:16 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 09:24:16 +0800

Raw message

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 09:24:16 +0800
Subject: Re: Chinese/Indian censorship of alt.sex.* etc. (Was: China)

Arun Mehta writes:
> A lot of noise is made about how Compuserve users do not have access to
> the sexusenet. Guess what -- in India, now China, we've *never* had such
> access. Why is that any more acceptable?

I have always assumed that people on the net in India, China, etc. can use
the same free net.resources as everyone else to access locally blocked
material. For newsgroups, use something like
	http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~jwa/open-sites.html

If the Indian or Chinese govt. forces all ISPs in its country to block
all known open NNTP servers, then that's a more serious situation. But I
haven't read anything indicating that.

The CompuServe incident caused a big ruckus because it involved a conflict
between the German govt. and many U.S. users, and (like it or not) users
in the U.S. seem to be the most vocal group on the net.

-Lewis	"You're always disappointed, nothing seems to keep you high -- drive
	your bargains, push your papers, win your medals, fuck your strangers;
	don't it leave you on the empty side ?"  (Joni Mitchell, 1972)

Thread