1996-02-08 - Edited Edupage 6 Feb 1996

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1c41b8c99c49ea728f427be0f785faf1c5be72047e628471b60e6208c5a5be6b
Message ID: <01I0Y0B1REJAA0UX5L@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 11:17:11 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 11:17:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Edited Edupage 6 Feb 1996

From:	IN%"educom@elanor.oit.unc.edu"  7-FEB-1996 14:51:59.08

COLLEGES WORRY ABOUT NEW LIABILITY FOR INTERNET CONTENT
The recent passage of the telecommunications reform bill has some college
administrators worried over new liability issues for educational
institutions that might unknowingly make "indecent" material available to
minors through their Internet access operations.  In addition, they've
expressed concern over potential First Amendment violations if they censor
the content too heavily.  "We have programs on campus about date rape,
unwanted pregnancy, and reproductive-health options, so I don't see how we'd
tolerate censorship of that kind of information in the electronic format,"
says the head of telecommunications at Carnegie Mellon University.
(Chronicle of Higher Education 9 Feb 96 A23)

Edupage is written by John Gehl (gehl@educom.edu) & Suzanne Douglas
(douglas@educom.edu).  Voice:  404-371-1853, Fax: 404-371-8057.

Technical support is provided by the Office of Information Technology,
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.