1996-02-14 - CyberAngels

Header Data

From: ethridge@Onramp.NET (Allen B. Ethridge)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1f811cf4286ed75448e5b610697b58f36ce6d1230d95189265545adacd38ba1e
Message ID: <v02140b00ad45ceaa91ca@[199.1.11.208]>
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 12:57:10 +0800

Raw message

From: ethridge@Onramp.NET (Allen B. Ethridge)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 12:57:10 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: CyberAngels

Don't know if this has been mentioned on this list, since i'm, as usual, a
little behind on my reading.  I found this while out about this while
reading alt.religion.scientology.

The Guardian Angels have decided to enter cyberspace and make it safe for
us all.  They have a FAQ on the web - http://www.safesurf.com/cyberangels/
.  How is this relevant to cypherpunks?  From their FAQ:

"9) What kinds of changes would the Guardian Angels / CyberAngels like to see?

a) We would like to see an improvement in User identification. User ID is
impossible to verify or trace back. The very anonymity of Users is itself
causing an increase in rudeness, sexual abuse, flaming, and crimes like
pedophile activity. We the Net Users must take responsibility for the
problem ourselves. One of our demands is for more accountable User IDs on
the Net. When people are anonymous they are also free to be criminals. In a
riot you see rioters wearing masks to disguise their true identity. The
same thing is happening online. We would like to see User ID much more
thoroughly checked by Internet Service Providers."

Since i'm can't do emphasis in ascii well, i'll quote the interesting
sentence again -

"When people are anonymous they are also free to be criminals."

I've never been a fan of anonymity, but it does have it's legitimate uses.

        allen

Thread