1996-02-18 - Legal status of Indian Reservations and CDA

Header Data

From: “Michael Peponis” <mianigand@unique.outlook.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 209d5c800345e8c2d9786530a755541179443df5c5c17d98630b18840192dfe6
Message ID: <199602180141.TAA05716@unique.outlook.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 10:09:53 +0800

Raw message

From: "Michael Peponis" <mianigand@unique.outlook.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 10:09:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Legal status of Indian Reservations and CDA

If I remember correctly, are not American Indian reservations considered
qusi-sovergin states under the law?

If this is true, what would stop me from negotiating with some tribe to
establish an ISP on the reservation and then placing whatever material I wanted
on that site without fear of reprisals from the US goverment.

After all, if they are a soveign state, decency is covered by whatever laws
they have, if any, not the CDA.

If this is true, the Indians get the benift of having state-of-the-art
telecommunications in thier communities, plus residual job creation, and
everyone else gets freedom of speech.

Any comments?
Regards,
Michael Peponis
PGP Key Avalible form MIT Key Server,or via finger

Thread