1996-02-10 - Re: Yeah, Yeah But what are we gonna do!

Header Data

From: avatar@mindspring.com
To: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Message Hash: 2a8ae1c0b71307bf894743eb6509f414073b07fb16c2b8792bb20cda6df8136f
Message ID: <199602101947.OAA25312@borg.mindspring.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:30:27 +0800

Raw message

From: avatar@mindspring.com
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:30:27 +0800
To: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Subject: Re: Yeah, Yeah But what are we gonna do!

At 01:17 PM 2/10/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Spam beget filters.
>
>Most congresscritters delete email from people other than their
>constituents already.
>
>Adam

Untrue most of them have responded to my correspondence.
For example, I live in Atlanta Ga. and Senator Bradley is a representative
of New Jersey. Here is his letter. By the way I have many more from
many other members of both House and Senate.

     Thank you for contacting me to express your views concerning
     the Communications Decency Act of 1995, which was recently passed as
     part of S. 652, the Telecommunications Act of 1995.  I greatly
     appreciated the opportunity to review your thoughts on this issue.

          Although the advances being made in our nation's information
     and communications network are revolutionary and welcome, they also
     provide openings for individuals to transmit obscene materials to
     children and to lure children.  Throughout my career in the U.S.
     Senate, I have consistently encouraged the recording industry and the
     television industry to limit explicit violence and sex on television.
     Given the widespread growth of information networks, I supported the
     Communications Decency Act as a means to curtail children's exposure
     to offensive materials and to give parents some control over the
     things their children see and hear.

          While I supported this amendment because I believe there is a
     need for some safeguards against obscenity, I do have some concerns
     about the implementation of this provision, if it becomes law. There
     should be a distinction between indecent and obscene material, as
     there is in other relevant laws.  Furthermore, this particular
     amendment does not adequately reflect the unique nature of the
     Internet, in which information crosses many computers and access
     points before reaching the user.  Finally, I was disappointed that the
     Senate did not have an opportunity to consider an alternative proposal
     suggested by Senator Leahy.  This measure would have provided more
     safeguards to ensure that First Amendment rights were preserved, but
     still would have accomplished the overall objective of the adopted
     version.

          Determining who should be held responsible for disseminating
     obscene material may be difficult.  I am concerned that this could
     lead to an overall chilling effect on online communication as users
     fear that they may be held responsible for material they did not
     originate.

          Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the
     joint House-Senate conference committee attempts to reconcile the
     differences between the two versions of the Telecommunications Act of
     1995.

          Again, thank you for contacting me to share your views.  I
     hope to hear from you again in the near future.

          Best wishes.

                                     Senator Bill Bradley
                                     Washington, DC 20510
                                     (202)224-3224

Charles Donald Smith Jr.

||The government  is my shepherd I need not work. It alloweth me to lie
 down on a good job. It leadeth me beside stilled factories. It destroyeth
 my initiative. It leadeth me in the path of a parasite for politics sake. YEA,
 though I walk through the valley of laziness and deficet spending I shall
 fear no evil, for the government is with me. It prepareth an economic utopia
 for me by appropriating the earnings of my grandchildren. It filleth my head
 with false security. My inefficiency runeth over. Surely, the government
should care for me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in a fools paradise
forever.................AMEN!   || nuke'm if ya got'em||

Thread