1996-02-18 - Re: True random numbers

Header Data

From: Bruce Murphy <packrat@ratbox.rattus.uwa.edu.au>
To: maruishi@netcom.com
Message Hash: 32c208bd485ac3e9b06e3c98307c0ccd50a7645c93c29b6242573978189da79f
Message ID: <199602181409.WAA01614@ratbox.rattus.uwa.edu.au>
Reply To: <199602172002.MAA09152@netcom20.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-18 14:32:36 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:32:36 +0800

Raw message

From: Bruce Murphy <packrat@ratbox.rattus.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:32:36 +0800
To: maruishi@netcom.com
Subject: Re: True random numbers

In message <199602172002.MAA09152@netcom20.netcom.com>,
  maruishi@netcom.com wrote:

> I was trying to think of a way to come up with true random numbers...
> And knowing a bit of UNIX socket TCP/IP programming I made a small little
> program that generates random numbers by measuring the mili-second timing ies
>  a TCP packet to bounce back, from another network.
>   My program simply send some data to port 7 (echo port) of a network on an i
> nternal list. Then timing it, randomly picks a different network to send to.

Interesting idea. Trends may be externally visible, You would probably
want to normalize it, and you would find that there was quite a few
deterministic elements of network load -> delay.

Oh, did I mention clock granularity?

In short you really aren't going to get 'random numbers' from such a
scheme, but that's not to say you couldn't have fun playing with it,
you might even find some use for the ways of calculating immediate
network load around a node. Especially with regard to interception of
packets and allowing for time discrepancies whilst doing so.

Altogether off topic, but could maybe be developed into an idea with,
maybe a 30% change of being Perrygrammed. Keep working.

<invisible to perry>
Bounce me the code, could be interesting
</invisible to perry>

--
Packrat (BSc/BE;COSO;Wombat Admin)
Nihil illegitemi carborvndvm.