1996-02-01 - Re: Escrowing Viewing and Reading Habits with the Governmen

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: trei@process.com
Message Hash: 3c9c8fb7c0d2e44c02b6a85576c4b9b192017f24e7242efde9335f5aa78d8f74
Message ID: <01I0OF2L9QGAA0UO1J@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:52:46 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:52:46 +0800
To: trei@process.com
Subject: Re: Escrowing Viewing and Reading Habits with the Governmen

From:	IN%"trei@process.com" 29-JAN-1996 14:32:19.64

>The general reaction of the library community was, I am glad to say,
entirely pro-privacy.
--------------------
	To their credit, yes. One application of this that others may be
interested in is that ILL requests (I have been told) come from a library, not
from a library's user. Thus, when I made one and got it back from the CIA's
lending library (yes, they have one), they didn't know who I was...
fortunately, given the book in question. Sort of a lesson for things like
sites, et al. If all that someone can tell is that a IP or whatever request
came from a particular site, then traffic analysis and other such things are
disrupted. One way to do this would be to set up fictional accounts
automatically to serve as proxies (relayed to the real account), which would
make it impossible for a normal proxy-detector (lack of information or a
particular set of information) to filter them out.
	-Allen

Thread