1996-02-18 - Re: CDA outside US (Including Indian Reservations)

Header Data

From: Ed Carp <erc@dal1820.computek.net>
To: Asgaard <asgaard@sos.sll.se>
Message Hash: 3fd5b957187b4ca3c4ecabf99e19b8b84a6c6c3f9a45326de6d86446707c2564
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9602180046.A14320-0100000@dal1820.computek.net>
Reply To: <Pine.HPP.3.91.960218050207.9955A-100000@cor.sos.sll.se>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-18 06:36:31 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 14:36:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Ed Carp <erc@dal1820.computek.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 14:36:31 +0800
To: Asgaard <asgaard@sos.sll.se>
Subject: Re: CDA outside US (Including Indian Reservations)

On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, Asgaard wrote:

> The problem with the CDA in this regard is that it doesn't seem to
> respect other jurisdictions. It's very irritating for us in other
> countries to know that if we put 'indecent' material on our world
> readable sites, then we commit a crime in the US punishable with
> 2 years detention, even if chances of prosecution, extradition or
> Noriega-style international arrest are minimal - so far; we all

Another problem - if you ever want to get into the US, you can kiss that
chance goodbye.  They might not even let you into the country as a
visitor.  Stupid.  A fair number of Western countries have laws that say,
in effect, that if you do something in your country that isn't illegal in
your country but is in country X, then country X can bar you entry or PR
status or citizenship based on the fact that is *is* a crome in country X.

Never mind that you may not even be aware that it *is* a crime in another
country, etc.  I suspect that it's intended to bar war criminals and such,
but it could just as easily be used against the common immigrant.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG    			Ed.Carp@linux.org, ecarp@netcom.com
					214/993-3935 voicemail/digital pager

"Past the wounds of childhood, past the fallen dreams and the broken families,
through the hurt and the loss and the agony only the night ever hears, is a
waiting soul.  Patient, permanent, abundant, it opens its infinite heart and
asks only one thing of you ... 'Remember who it is you really are.'"

                    -- "Losing Your Mind", Karen Alexander and Rick Boyes

The mark of a good conspiracy theory is its untestability.
		    -- Andrew Spring

Thread