1996-02-13 - More DaveMail: New Date: 2/22/96

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4e7b5ae0d992b7833944c6c635ebcfa1212fed8caa1c532bf3b7b94357ec79da
Message ID: <v02120d07ad463d044fb9@[199.0.65.105]>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 22:08:39 +0800

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 22:08:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: More DaveMail: New Date: 2/22/96

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 17:27:12 -0800
To: telstar@wired.com (Todd Lappin -- Wired), davenetworld@wired.com,
        eric.alderman@hmg.com, shabbir@vtw.org (Shabbir J. Safdar),
        sac88867@saclink1.csus.edu (Allen Cole),
        nagel@applelink.apple.com (Dave Nagel -- Apple),
        apj7@columbia.edu (Andrew Johnston), strindberg3@applelink.apple.com,
        robg@prognet.com (Rob Glaser -- Progressive Networks),
        esp@montreal.com (David Kramer),
        ebelove@staff.ichange.com (Ed Belove -- AT&T Interchange)
From: dwiner@well.com (DaveNet email)
Subject: New Date: 2/22/96
Sender: owner-davenetworld@wired.com

---------------------------------------
Amusing Rants from Dave Winer's Desktop
Released on 2/12/96; 5:18:26 PM PST
---------------------------------------

  Rob Glaser, robg@prognet.com, was the first to question the choice
  of 2/12/96 for the 24 Hours of Democracy project.

  He said: "I think this is a very good idea overall. But I think it is
  unnecessarily (insanely?) ambitious to try to pull it off on
  Wednesday."

  Many more emails like that followed.

  As the day progressed, I realized that while I'm itching to get the
  ball rolling, it's taking longer than I thought it would for the
  pieces to come together.

  So we're pushing the date back.

  ***February 22, 1996

  The start time will be: 12:01AM, Pacific, 2/22/96.

  The end time will be: 11:59PM, Pacific, 2/22/96.

  February 22 is George Washington's Birthday. A national holiday in
  the United States. It's a bank holiday. The post office is closed.

  We celebrate the birth of our founding father. The leader in our war
  for independence. He was the first president of the United States.
  The man who, according to legend, could not tell a lie.

  So -- instead of writing a love letter to the Internet, tell the truth
  about democracy. The founding principles of the United States. The
  Declaration of Independence. The Constitution. The Bill of Rights.

  How would George Washington feel about the Internet?

  And even though 2/22/96 is not Valentine's Day, if you want to write a
  love letter to the Internet, that's probably OK too!

  Stay tuned to <http://www.hotwired.com/userland/24/> for news on
  sponsorship, press information, free web posting via email, clip
  art, and information about how you can contribute to the success of 24
  Hours of Democracy.

  Thanks!

  Dave Winer

  PS: Remember Abraham Lincoln, whose birthday is today, and remember
  slavery, the Civil War, and then freedom. Can it happen here? It did!

2/22/96: <http://www.hotwired.com/userland/24/>

--- end forwarded text

The e$ lists are brought to you by:

Making Commerce Convenient (tm) - Oki Advanced Products - Marlboro, MA
Value-Checker(tm) smart card reader= http://www.oki.com/products/vc.html

Where people, networks and money come together: Consult Hyperion
http://www.hyperion.co.uk                    info@hyperion.co.uk

See your name here. Be a charter sponsor for e$pam, e$, and Ne$ws!
See http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/ or e-mail rah@shipwright.com
for details...